Saturday, May 10, 2014

Race For The Cure

In my pink dress, wearing my breast cancer support pin, I joined thousands of other participants in Salt Lake City who were participating in the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure.


The weather was a little chillier than I anticipated and I did get a little wet from the rain, but the enthusiasm for finding a cure for breast cancer made braving a little weather worth it!


I met so many great people today - breast cancer has touched the lives of so many women and their families.  I know this personally as my dear, loving grandmother passed away earlier this year from metastasized breast cancer.  I thought of my grandma today and all her love and devotion to her family and to me as her granddaughter.  She was very involved in my life and loved to support me in any way possible.  I know that she was smiling and proud of her granddaughter for being at the race for the cure today.  




I enjoyed seeing the survivors and the joy that their loved ones and they have for the treatments they've received.  I loved that many survivors wore the dark pink colored shirts so they could easily be supported and cheered.


Races for a cause are a fabulous way for youth and kids to serve! I really enjoyed seeing all the youth walking with friends and walking with family members.  I loved all the great opportunities I had to take pictures with these incredible youth who are using their time to help and serve others!



It was fun to support the sports teams (I played Lacrosse in high school, too!) and cheerleading squads!  I had a great time seeing the cheer squad from Skyline High School- where I graduated!

Not only were youth participating in the race, but there were many who were volunteering for the race to ensure that the event ran smoothly!  

Sadly, at this time there is no sure way to prevent breast cancer - I add my hope and prayer to the rest of those who participated in the race today that through funds raised and generous donations that a cure and prevention can be found.  In the interim, it is important that if cancer does occur, it is found at an early, more treatable stage.

The Susan G. Komen site has a great tutorial on understanding breast cancer:http://ww5.komen.org/bsl_kbc/en/kbc_01_01a.htm

Wear pink! Support finding a cure!




And...keep using your Handz to serve!





No comments:

Post a Comment